So I have been bugging the crap our of my trainer all the way from Florida for some new routine to somehow get me out of this quiescent stage of my workout routine and specifically abs :-/
And of course he always reiterates, "It begins with your diet P!" Uhhh, yeah that definitely didn't go too well this weekend lol.....but umm Ok I get it but I still need some new routines lol.. so finally he spills, so here are some moves to try if you have also hit a plateau :)
Let's talk Abs for s second.. Getting those Gwen Stefani or JLo washboard abs does NOT come easy nor it is achieved just by doing crunches, Crunches only works the muscles on the front and sides of your abdomen. The key is targeting all the muscles of the core to get a more defined abs including lower back, hips and upper thighs.
On to Core exercises- Not only does these exercises burn more calories than crunches it also help improve your posture and train the muscles to stabilize the spine and pelvis so you can avoid back pain.
Here are some exercises that I have tried and actually loved and hated, because it hurts in a good way lol:)
Alligator Drag/Crawl/Walk: I usually incorporate this 3-4 times a week when I am having a lower body workout day.
2. Start in push-up position with your feet on the slides, towels, or plates.
3. Walk yourself forward with your hands to the end of your runway (aim for at least 10 yards). Rest for 60 to 90 seconds (or as long as you need to recover) and repeat the alligator walk back to where you started.
4. Repeat 3-4 times
Try the Side Plank: I personally love this ab exercise because it is more challenging than the traditional plank by working your core harder to stay stabilized. I incorporate this move when I am doing a full body 2-3 times a week.
- Lie on your side with your knees bent, and prop your upper body up on your elbow.
- Raise your hips off the floor, and hold for 30-45 seconds or and as long as you can and repeat until you've held for 30 seconds total.
- Switch sides and Repeat 3-4 times