Friday, August 30, 2013

TIPS-Y Friday: Bold enough to rock this Fall's Dark Lips?!?!?

Soooo I know you have read me rave about my favorite season over and over again and my last posts have been anything and everything hinting of the upcoming season and yes there will be more Autumn posts to come so sorry to disappoint you if you thought so otherwise :) lol
Again, as you may also know by now, I digress so let's get back to those dark lips for fall :)
Here are a few tips to rock that perfect dark lips Matte or Glossy :)

First and foremost, key to a perfect dark lip is a smooth canvas so exfoliate, there's numerous products that you can use like Mary Kay's lip mask exfoliator or Bliss' Fabulips Sugar Lip Scrub and a few of my favorite DIY's are using a toothbrush with soft bristles, another yummy delish one is using honey and sugar or baking soda and water. It is imperative that you moisturize as soon as you finish exfoliating.
  • If your lips are still a bit flaky even after exfoliating, rock a glossy dark lips instead of matte, the gloss will hide some of that flakiness.

Use a matte base like EOS or Burt's Bees Lip Balm to prep lips before layering the dark lipstick. The balm keeps lips moisturized as most matte lipsticks are typically drying.
  • Matte I say because a glossy base has the propensity to sheer out color as well as gives a slippery base where the color may bleed past the lip line.
When going for a matte lip, it is not necessary to use a lip liner to fill in lips but you can use it as a definer once the lipstick is applied. Smooth the edges with light strokes of liner matching your lip color. For a more glossy look, it is imperative to line the lips with matching color to give the gloss definition as well as something to cling to.

Finally, Find the color that best complement your skin tone. Deep skin tones carry out merlot color beautifully, vamp it up further by adding a dark brown. If you have an Olive tone, like me, Deep burgundy's and mahogany and yes even some merlot are my go to, but, I have rocked deep purples before and I love them too. It really is more about your preference. Fair skin can pretty much pull off the vampy look with any purple, wine hues. I suggest trying a few and see how your skin glows or dulls your the look.

**Bonus -In addition to dark hues, Red lips are just as deserving to be flaunted this fall as it is for everyone....just make sure to find a blue based red that works for you as this tone has the propensity whiten your teeth. My personal favorite; A really soft and creamy lipstick by Chanel in Velvet 01 and a yummy delish, non-sticky, smells ahhh-mazing Lippy by Butter London in Come To Bed Red lip gloss, I really picked it up originally because of the name and who knew I would fall inlove with it :)





I was at CVS last night scouring for a few dark colors to add to my collection and saw these Maybelline limited collection that they came out of for fall but I was only able to find 3 lipstick and 4 lip glosses as they are completely out so that sounds promising, I hope it pays off. I will do a separate post of fall lipstick swatches sometime next week as I have a plethora of colors to pick through from my collection so in the mean time here's a preview...



Are you bold enough to rock a dark lip this fall? I know I definitely am :)
Please comment with your thoughts below or email with any queries, don't forget to socialize with me on twitter, instagram and facebook ......sharing is beauty-ful :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment